Scranton's Trolley History and the Electric City Troli Museum

1. The Horse Trail:

Although the development of steam locomotives and the progressive layout of the track allowed the emerging cities And to increase their growth by transferring families, workers and materials In the middle of the 19th and early 20th centuries there were few urban transport except for the horse and the various wagons and trains. There was a need for a short-range, low-capacity vehicle that accommodated dozens more and was fast-paced to cover some blocks and distances over a few miles. But on the rail, unlike the trains, coal is tedious and is not suitable for such street negotiations. However, while still working with horsepower, AB Duning, David R. Randall, George Tracey, A. Bennett and Samuel Raub on March 23, 1865 received a charter to create the People's Street line Connecting Scranton downtown and the surrounding Hyde Park every hour in every direction.

Scranton and the Providence passenger rail company Owned the Way from 27 March of the following year, imitated its operation, and then acquired its former competitor and merged into a single company. The Daily Service from Scranton to Providence received a 10 percent fare each hour, although Sundays were dependent on those wishing to travel to the church.

Despite the reduced travel time, schedules are hardly stoned. In fact, the trolley car was small with two opposite pads, in winter there was no heat, weathering operations and no designated stops were ever created, so the "flag and board" method remained to determine interruptions.

Reverse journey required the Mule, man-driven pressure on the rotary table, and then folding back before returning a route to its origins.

Growth made the order necessary. Motorists were soon wearing uniforms, for the heavily traveled routes the wires needed to collect the fare and signal the driver, set up stops and trolleybuses extended. However, the method was less effective because the horses were tired and needed to nourish and pollute the streets after they were, and the proportion of mules was similar to cars compared to the week before the eighth.

Add this debate to the disease was. What was seen as a black plague of animals in the 1872s when the "Great Epizootic" spread from Canada to Louisiana required about 2300 horses in New York, about three hundred and seventy, seriously affecting the Scranton Street car system. He was dependent on them.

2. The electric car traveled to American and European big cities where electric powered car operations experimentally experimented, but unsuccessfully tried Edward B. Sturges, who thought this source would replace the four-legged, Scranton Suburban Railway Company, with the Chicago Van Depoel Electric Manufacturing Company, has signed a contract for the construction of the Green Ridge Suburban Line and the conclusion of the Pullman Car Company with its cars.

Since electric cars have never been designed, they are well reflected on four wheels and on opposite and open platforms, although plush pads, polished mahogany interior walls, blinded glass windows, and reflective oil lamps provided firm comfort .

Construction was the first step. The switch was second in the Van Depoele factory, which required electrical installation to which the front platform cover had to be fitted with doors to accommodate the engine and control devices.

Electricity was pulled from an overhead line

The system is required for middle street classification, Powertrain and Power Plant construction, all of which on 6 July 1886 It started. As the nucleus of an atom, the innovative car company, Franklin and Lackawanna, chose the intersection of its route as Scranton's traffic junction, approaching every horse drawn line and its proximity to long-range railways, including Delaware, Lackawanna and The West, the New York and New Jersey Central Railways, and Ontario and the West. It was also the heart of the city's business and theater districts.

The two and a half mile line was interrupted at Delaware Avenue, where a turntable facilitated reverse direction control

. ] After construction work was completed on November 29, 1886, Trolley cars were delivered by Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad, which were shipped on flat cars and left to the dedicated force. The final distance of the horses on the rail that was ordered according to their purpose Before they went to Franklin Avenue. Charles van Depoele's hand-held steering wheel, the country's first trolley car Electric-powered, 14: 30, traveled by local time to Franklin and Spruce streets and received Scranton as the "first electric city".

Compared to the skater of the skater, Simas ac And the inside of it first illuminated the same power source that triggered it. The second car soon joined the magnetic attraction,

The full 2.5-mile road was successfully covered the next day with the fourth car.

"After passing by David W. Biles," From Horses to Buses: A Look at the Scranton Urban Transit History "(Electric), snow, ice and pub, steep gradients and 45 degrees Turns from left to right City Trolley Museum Association, page 21), "the fourth car arrived at the Green Ridge rotary plate, and after the start of the car, Lackawanna Avenue went along the Franklin Avenue and the entire line Was a success. "

This success can not be said to have served as a catalyst, including the Völgy Passenger Rail Company, the Scranton Passenger Rail Company, the Nay-Aug Railroad Company, the Scranton and the Carbondale Traction Company , The Scranton and Pittston Traction Company and the Lackawanna Valley Traction Company

were united and operated in 1900 The flagship of the only Scranton Railway Company until 1900, did not leave the wand without electrical power, transforming the horse-racing predecessors into this technology. Since the spread of such tracts extended to all parts of the city, including many small gravel towns, larger cars were required, from 1897 to 1904, 3 5 40 feet long, double control wagons operating in both directions without That they would need to rotate the table back. These traffic phenomena are comparable to statistics: more than 100 miles run by 183 fleet, Scranton Trolley Company 33 million The Scranton Bus Company, founded in 1923, provided service on the Washburn Street trolley line.

The trolley design peak, Osgood-Bradley's ten cars The 1929 Wooster Company, in 1950 and 1950, Scranton Transit Company was reorganized in 1934 by the electric rail and Power company Insull, which lasted for more than nine years The previously announced bankruptcy, the originally Scranton railway company continued to operate, but the day was moving towards the western horizon.

Arms downgrading and tracking buses that do not require external resources are more popular. The progressive conversion of the lines to bus routes was less than 50 miles and 100 seats in 1936. Twelve years later, these numbers fell to 20 and 48.

Coming to the full cycle. Replacing the electric car as the horse pulled it, so it was replaced by the gasoline engine. The Greenbridge suburban line, the first to see the then newly jumped service, was the last to resign from 18 December 1954.

3. Electric City Trolley Museum:

The Electric City Trolley Museum is located in downtown Scranton and is a mass parking lot, and in some cases the Steamtown National Historic Site. Rich street history and personally check many of your cars. "The 50-seat theater, according to the museum," and other impressive shows bring life to the extensive network history that allowed North-West residents to travel 75 miles to their cars. "

A good introduction to this ten-minute movie," Trolley: Cities Changing Cars ", is constantly on the Transit Theater exhibitions of the Museum, including a sub-station model showing how to transport electricity to car engines To run them and an upgraded car whose floorcutting allows checking the 600V DC traction engine

Several cars have either been restored or are in progress.

For example, car 46 Is a closed, double, double-lorry type, and one of the 22 in 1907 was the St Louis Car Company of Philadelphia and Western Railway, which operated between the 69th Street Terminal and Upper Darby and Strattford.

Four General Electric 73C Motor Operation and 34 Inch Diameter This is a 51.4 feet long, 9.3 feet wide and weighs 82,000 pounds. Mainly f But using a steel chassis frame, this is the example of the classic 54-kilometer long distance car in the early 20th century.

The 8534 car was another museum exhibit. The latter is the one-sided, one-way models of 535 steel, built by JG Brill Company for the Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company. It is considered an updated version of 1500 "close-up" cars built between 1911 and 1913. Both after the Second World War the carriage in Philadelphia served.

The last such car, Three still today, was withdrawn in 1957.

Another museum is an example of the 801 car. One of the five was the opening of a new branch line ordered by LVT Society in February 1912 from Whales Junction in Norristown, Pennsylvania, by the Jewett Car Company in New York.

The three-seater interior, highlighting the elegant Steam Pullman car of the era, the motorman, the luggage, and a masculine smoking area with a brass spit; The main passenger seat part; And a toilet, an outdoor drinking pump, a cup feeder, right edge.

A visitor wagon experience can be improved on a ten-mile round trip by a Steamtown Station leaving the forest, where the return to the era is enhanced with views of many steam locomotives, cars and trucks on the railway yard. Smoke smoke, pearls of the moon, ring bells, whistles and bands are likely to numb.

Both of the two actuators were painted brown To reflect the color the Scranton's first car in 1886, number 76, operated in Philadelphia, was built in 1926 and served for half a century Stood in 1960. Over the electric line he ran on a 650 volt DC motor. Both the Engineer and the Caretaker's staff. The nickel fare allowed the whole day trip. The entrance was on a mid-sized door, and it was in the middle.

The newly refurbished interior has wicker seats, heel hooks, brass, ticket boxes and vintage commercials such as Nabisco Uneeda biscuits. Air conditioning was the opening of the windows in summer.

Steamtown started off and reached 30 mph at certain stages. The Electric City car follows the 19-mile Laurel line trail. By 1970, the wonderful Lackawanna railway station was at the entrance to the coal mine at the Dumore Axis and the Roaring Brook Straits, a small waterfall. 19459002

Then enters the Laurel Line tunnel between 1904 and 1905 The high-speed rail line Lackawanna and Wyoming Railroad between the Scranton and Wilkes Barre. It has a long 7447 feet long, progressive slope at 180 feet from the ground at its entrance, 90 feet on the exit.

Two miles of forested area and passage along the wagon end of the car Journey to the wagon restoration shop where contestants can view some of the 23 cars in their collection that are served and repaired

Planning for the PNC Field in Montage Mountain throughout the season

The retirement of the car, passengers returning the route, returning to Steamtown, during which time they could return to a centuries-old mode of transport that was an integral part of Scranton's urban development.


Biles, David. W. "From the horseshoes to the buses: a glimpse into the transitional history of Scranton City". Scranton: Electric City Wagon Museum Association

Source by Robert Waldvogel

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *