Wat Pho is also called the temple of the lying Buddha and is located in Thailand's Phra Nakhon District. The church was built as a restoration of an earlier church in the same place. In fact, the construction of the church began in 1788 and was restored in 1824. Recently, Wat Pho was restored in 1982 to regain its old splendor and splendor.
Wat Pho is one of Thailand's largest churches. It covers an area of 80,000 square meters. Wat Pho has more than a thousand Buddha pictures, one of them is the image of a lying Buddha. This image is forty-six meters long and fifteen meters high. The body of the picture is covered with a gilded sheet and the eyes are made of pearls. The lying Buddha's legs have 108 favorable scenes in Chinese and Indian style.
Before the foundation of the church, the place was the center of traditional Thai medicine. There are still images in the temple that depict various yoga positions. The temple is also known as the birthplace of traditional Thai massage. In 1962, a traditional medical and massage school was established in the area of the church.
The church is divided into two blocks between an eastern and a western road. The first block is where we find the lying Buddha, and the second block is the residence of the monks, and the traditional Thai medicine and massage school.
Source by Pauline Go